Why Wordle?


I keep re-committing to being in bed by 10:00 pm, thinking that 8 hours of sleep is that "perfect number" to help me wake-up refreshed and ready for an excellent day. However, my pre-sleep ritual includes the daily Wordle. (I'm already wondering who else might be Slicing about Wordle or if it's "been there, done that!") I am a steady "4" and I get a thrill when I solve in 3 (and try not to stress the 5s, 6s and losses). What is it about Wordle that's creating a happy habit for me?

I love that it takes 2 minutes or less. I used to relish starting the Times crossword puzzle on Sundays and finishing it through the week, but I just don't have that kind of time anymore and I've lost all my core crossword knowledge (3 letter word for belt = obi!).

I find joy in picking a random word to start. I know some folks use a smart vowel-heavy word again and again, but there's a word-lover's buzz in seeing how my somewhat random 5-letter guess stacks up, and a thrill when there are three greens or yellows (and I consider it a decent play if there are no letters, too - helpful in a different way).

I can share the results with my family. My kids and husband aren't Wordlers, but I regularly screen shot the celebrations and the groans and put them in our family group chat for recognition (I'll take any emoji I can get!). It may be the only thing I do with a score, in a family of athletes. 

There are probably much healthier choices for 9:50 pm. Drink 8 ounces of water. Do 25 sit-ups. Text my mother. Write in a gratitude journal. I'll make you a deal - I'll add one of those things to my list next month. But this month, it's Wordle and Slicing for the daily habits!

Note to self: try "slice" tomorrow night!




Comments

  1. Sometimes I spend way more that 2 minurtes! Then sometimes i can do it in a flash, I'm not sure why some words are so hard for me. Happy Wordle and slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a consistent 4 too, but I begin with the same word every day. 🤷‍♀️ I do mine first thing in the morning before work. I share my results every day with my niece and sister-in-law. I introduced them to Connections, and now we share those results daily too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to share the results - even on the days when I'm groaning!

      Delete
  3. I have to do Vertex and Wordle and Tiles right after dinner as my relaxation time. I used to choose a good Wordle word to start with but now I choose whatever pops into my head, which makes it a little more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I do, Elisabeth - I did try using 'slice' yesterday - it got me two yellow letters!

      Delete

Post a Comment