vacation-ish week


This week, many of my schools (my clients) are on spring break. I've got 3 great projects, and I've actually calendared meetings with myself to get this work done. Tonight, instead of prepping coaching & lessons for the week ("the Sundays", as my husband calls it), I'm going to organize the materials for those projects and include some good post-its and pens, to keep me motivated. I also bought these ridiculous wonderful caramels from Whole Foods. How puppy-like of me, to be motivated by a Diet Coke and a sea salt caramel :)

Then, in the down time, I need to get two other incredibly important things done:

1. I need to sort through stacks upon stacks of books and prepare some for giveaway. Some for educators, some for an incredible black-owned bookstore with an excellent "previously loved" section, some for the Little Free Library, others to my local library's book sale. I absolutely have places for these books to go, and I know that they need new homes, away from the dust of my bookshelves and into the right hands at the right time.

2. I need to pick a few books to read myself and get reconnected with my own reading life... settle into a reading nook with a chai tea and my favorite wrap, a footstool (because my plantar fasciitis is flaring and fiery right now - IYKYK) and a few meaningful books that have been sitting too long in my "to be read" (TBR) stack.
OR... if I'm not going to read them now, I need to decide: keep the book and move it to the shelf unread or realize it needs to be given away. Since I'm committed to item #1, I'll be in flow, and it will feel meaningful to help it find a new home.

Consultants don't always get a typical "vacation" but I'm going to use this week productively and be ready for April - a cleared out space and new knowledge and inspiration, too.



Comments

  1. Umm, all but the pleasure reading sound like work, but the thing about time off is each person gets to do what they want, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Glenda - the thought of cleaning up is both work AND good vacation activity!

      Delete
    2. And the caramels sweeten the deal - pun intended!

      Delete
  2. I love the emphasis on giving books away but then on getting new ones for your own reading pleasure. This will be a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I'm impressed you can be satisfied with a Diet Coke and A salted caramel. I usually can't stop with one of anything! Giving books away to worthy recipients is a reward in itself, isn't it? Oh, I do know about plantar fasciitis, and I also know that after about 18 months it went away, so far for years. I hope yours passes soon. In the meantime, enjoy some reading and relaxing along with getting ready for April!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting meetings with yourself on the calendar sounds like such a fabulous idea. It's definitely a different approach than making a list, which always winds up becoming longer, or getting migrated to yet another list. It sounds like you have a good plan to curl up with good books and pass some along to new homes. At my house, there's books shuffle here and there. Some I bring in, some I give away, some I've borrowed from official libraries and some I borrow from free little libraries. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm spending some of my spring break time engaged in similar bookish activities--I've been weeding shelves (still have a few to go) and I'm scheduling two reading days for myself. Today is the first, and I'm excited to go collect some books and spend a couple of hours reading in between some other activities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment