Pause. Breathe. Reset.

Today was a hard day.


What would it take to create a system where educators can pause // breathe // reset - as well as support students who need this same reminder?

I was a guest, leading professional learning, and here's what I noticed. Folks arrived late. Folks worked on their laptops instead of engaging with me or each other. Folks were not interested in professional reading or problem-solving. For some, there was no energy for gathering in this "regularly scheduled meeting". For others, the energy was there, but it was a kinetic swirl of frustration with me, and with students, and with families.

Though we muddled through it, I'm spending a late night reflecting on what today's behaviors can teach me. I'm striving to be curious, to stay in relationship with this challenge. To not take it personally, but as an opportunity to ask questions, even if there are not easy answers. To use those three magic words: tell me more. And to consider ways our adult learning community can Pause. Breathe. Reset. Because we've hit a "stressful situation" (as this sign says!) and we need to consider how to best move forward.



* My part two post about anchor charts is delayed... but I promise, it will arrive soon!

Comments

  1. Lisa, I can understand your frustration. AFter I retired as a districtwide administator I consulted with teachers, led presentations on NYS new standards and ways to bring a sense of joy and mindfulness to classrooms. I met some very interested teachers and those who were not. It is a journey to bring the community to a committed team-like perspective. Good luck with your "stressful situations". Pause is my one word for this year. Pause-breathe-reset is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I do think teachers are especially stressed right now, so pause + breathe is helping me find empathy.

      Delete
  2. Even without the further explanation, your first sentence was already a slice. There are things you can control and maybe some things you can influence and a lot of things you have no control over. You can control your reactions and actions. Choosing to breathe and pause is a healthy compassionate action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Terje - I think so much about the experiences I'm having with teachers might parallel the experiences they are having with kids, so my "advice to self" could also parallel what I share with them: What's in our circle of control? Staying de-escalated. Breathing. And being ready to try again tomorrow, with hope.

      Delete
  3. Your first question certainly has me reflecting on how that space is created for educators (or not) so that we can in turn create it for students (or not). "Tell me more" can be such a powerful move in so many situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of "tell me more" as being one of my most important coaching stems!

      Delete
  4. Ah my friend! I am so glad to see you posting this month but sad this was your experience! You are an engaging speaker (this I know) so other distractions sometimes take over. Life is complicated. Reflection is such a strong part of your practice! Thank you for writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy! So great, SO GREAT to see you here. Life IS SO COMPLICATED, for adults and young people right now, right? I have to really get that "pause" right, because that's where the reflection can sneak in. Hugs galore to you, and will look for your posts... xxoo

      Delete

Post a Comment