Human sunrises

A quote from Alice Walker shared in Shannan Martin's book, Start with Hello


Who are the Human Sunrises in my life?

The cofounder I work with, a partner in fighting hate & harm in Ohio education; her capacity to work for others with such a clear vision of why our work is important inspires me every day - she never forgets to center kids and the kind of school experience each child deserves.

The incredible pastor at my beloved church, who reminds me every Sunday that love is the answer.

A neighbor/friend who I often end my day with, walking our dogs in the evening; she moves through the world inviting connection, and is good the way I aspire to be good, in never speaking ill of others, in always finding hope.

Naomi Shihab Nye and her poetry, which always makes me feel emotions deep in my bones, in my heart, and to the tips of my fingers.

My mother and my father, who love me limitlessly and best of all, share and show that love all the time, with such clarity that I never ever have to wonder if I'm loved, just as I am.



Read more about Alice Walker's concept of human sunrises here.










Comments

  1. I am so glad that I read your slice today - I am going to meditate on the human sunrises in my life. Beautiful quote, and good that you have so many human sunrises to write about; just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maureen. Isn't Alice Walker's language so beautiful and compelling - it makes you want to celebrate the lights in our lives.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post and a great idea to honor those around you. I particularly love the part with your neighbor and walking your dogs, the neighbor who is such a good person. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, your note makes me think I should sent a little thank you to these folks on my list - let them know how their light warms me.

      Delete

Post a Comment