https://astrobackyard.com/the-little-dipper/

Earlier this week, I connected with former colleague. We never had dinner at each other‘s houses, or exchanged holiday cards, but I definitely felt a kinship with her while we worked together. She is starting up her own consulting business, and her website will be going live soon, and I shared that it would be a special “birth-day,” when her site is live, and her work has a formal home. She loved that idea, of a birthday for her business, and previewed that the website will explain the very personal reason she chose the name for her consultancy. It’s named after a star in the Little Dipper, and a star that has deep meaning for her through a connection to her mother, who passed away unexpectedly. 

We Zoomed for over an hour, mixing professional and personal updates, and I was surprised how easily we fell back into conversation. (Truly, this is someone I haven’t spoken to in 10 years.) When I got off with her, I recognized some of the feelings that were coming up for me, especially joy - listening to an energizing human, excited by their work and the future she’s creating for herself and the love story she told, about finding a person who brings out the best in her, and who creates a grounded family with her and her teenage children.


Then, an unexpected boost of recognizing that I feel calm and content entering a much different phase in my life, a phase where I am slowing down my work, and looking to lessen my travel schedule and pass on new work commitments, rather than take on new relationships and stay in the hustle, a hustle that I have loved, but in this new season of life, a hustle that tires me out in ways I’m still trying to articulate (and will likely work out in a few Slices this month).


I walked the dog tonight, and there were a ton of stars, which is not always the norm here in the suburbs of Cleveland. I purposefully found the Little Dipper, which I haven’t admired in a long time. It was a comfort to connect that phone call to the evening sky, and to think about my own journey and what will guide me.

Comments

  1. I love how you reconnected so easily about professional and personal life happenings. An old saying suggests that REAL friends can fall back into place picking up where they left off years before. It sure is true for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great to (re) find that vibe with someone!

      Delete
  2. How nice to reconnect with someone but also how fun to help you step into a new phrase of your life. Enjoy that slower schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment