Slice Re-Connect* - Good Is Not a Thing You Are. It's a Thing You Do.

 I was in charge of a big PD event on Saturday, welcoming Gholdy Muhammad, Samira Ahmed and amazing breakout session leaders to a half-day of leaning in to Justice & Joy. I was so busy (and in "getting things done" mode - do other PD event planners have that side to them?!) that I only grabbed snippets of wisdom from these inspiring keynotes, but I was in the right place at the right time to hear Samira talk about her comic Ms. Marvel: Beyond the Limit, and how the hero's message for us readers is "Good is not a thing you are. It's a thing you do." 

I've held on to that phrase, and thought about how it applies to so many other descriptors, and how being active in the world - living our values, especially when faced with challenges - is the real work of being community.

I am grateful that I'm not often faced with "do good or do harm." The place I usually find myself is the space of doing nothing or very little - a space where I know what "good" is, but I don't actively engage in the doing. And I do try, oh-so hard, to be a good doer (choosing that language over do-gooder, which feels like a label, not an action), as a literacy leader, as a community activist, as a person of faith, as a mom of young adults watching me engage in the world. Those buckets: educator, activist, faithful human, mom - those are the priority places where I'm striving to step into the challenge of doing good.

And then there's the little good doing from the past week.

Letting a car in ahead of me in a busy intersection, even if that now means I'll miss the light.

Handing someone a $5 bill when they are short on cash in the grocery line and keeping it discrete.

Holding space for a friend who is sharing their frustration and sadness with work, even as I feel the need to wrap-up a project.

Giving an apology when my own busy-ness shows up as snapping at the people I love.

BIG GOOD. Little good. And all the goodness in between. This is the choice I want to make, the thing I want to do. 



Samira Ahmed at University of Illinois at Chicago's Super Saturday 2023: Justice & Joy


* This is a Slice re-connect as I missed days 2-5, but I'm back at it!

Comments

  1. My friend! So wonderful to see you slicing this year! Ahhhh love this! Esp the big good little good part. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great event that you organized. I can definitely relate to this line from your post: "The place I usually find myself is the space of doing nothing or very little - a space where I know what "good" is, but I don't actively engage in the doing." I feel the same way, but like you, I try to remind myself that even the little things have some value. I would like, however to be doing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment