Oh, how I love creating a list.

I start with the bits of ideas floating on small post-its or emails to myself; margin scribbles or sometimes actual scraps of paper; texts to myself or a lost thought that needs a safe home - and that home is the list.

The bits move into stacks - sometimes in a notebook ("Ode to Composition Notebooks" coming soon!); sometimes into a cluster on the family ping pong table, as I sort & organize the pieces; occasionally, into a Notes doc or Google doc, which despite being a safe electronic spot for lists, I still tend to print.

Today's lists include meeting requests sent & awaiting response; folks to set coaching meetings with; and calendaring March dates onsite with a school. The right sticky note (lined or unlined? Dull or bright color), the right pen (often a medium point blue Bic pen, but sometimes a bold Sharpie), and then some decisions about structure, too (don't you love a check box?).

But the heart of this list-making is the sense that I'm getting things done. Being organized has definitely gotten harder for me. My "in the head" lists must now find their way to paper, as my brain can't easily move from A to B to C without that written road map. If I write it down, especially in the right place (and with the right pen!), I'm cuing myself to take action and set priorities. When I move down the page, curating the scraps into a system that makes sense, I'm creating brain space for the real work of getting to work, not remembering what I need to do.

Tomorrow, I'll add some more checkmarks and start scheduling new coaching cycles for March. And tonight, I'll sleep easier, knowing I know what to do tomorrow :)





Comments

  1. I will anticipate your Ode to Composition Notebooks! I can't wait!
    I have a love/hate relationship with lists. I want to be efficient, effective, organized. However, I get lost in the lists. Where did I put that post-it? Do we need more bread or did I just get bread? What size did he say he needed?
    I wrote it down...I'm sure.
    I hoard paper products and pens!! Some day, I hope to feel as full of joy as you with my listing life.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the love/hate feelings, Emily; I feel like that may show up in another Slice!

      Delete
  2. Ah my friend! So happy to see you slicing this month. I miss your workshops and the plethora of colored pens and post its! I am so honored and happy to know you. Glad for reconnection as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome how we can count on March for re-connecting, Tammy? Thank you for modeling the joy of leading a writing life.

      Delete
  3. Fellow List Lover here! Have you seen these listography journals? So many options... I have two and love them :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Listography-Journal-Your-Life-Lists/dp/0811859088/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BN381KA5VRGI&keywords=listography+journal&qid=1646248539&sprefix=listography+journals%2Caps%2C523&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tracy, I'm in trouble now - THANK YOU for the idea :)

      Delete
  4. I am the same way with lists. My favorite is playing on my ipad and using the Apple Pencil to make lists. Can't wait for this 30 day journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an Apple Pencil, believe it or not! You'll have to show me when we're together next. Another tool for list-making!

      Delete
  5. I too have a love/hate relationship with lists. When I can remember to make them AND know where to find them--great! I loved this line: "When I move down the page, curating the scraps into a system that makes sense, I'm creating brain space for the real work of getting to work, not remembering what I need to do."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment