I'm not following my own best advice.

Today, I did not hydrate.
I did not breathe, and I especially did not stop and settle myself.
I did not take a moment to celebrate a small victory.
I did not send a note of gratitude and reap the benefits of dopamine and serotonin flooding my body.

Did I eat a veggie or a piece of fruit? If I don't remember, I think the answer is no.
I did eat a chocolate chip cookie. For breakfast.

I visited two schools.
I had a 7:00 am call, 5 Zooms, and so many texts and calls squeezed in-between.
I swiped "unavailable" when my daughter Facetimed me from Berlin.

AND: I can do better.

Tomorrow, I will hydrate.
I will breathe. I will be more present.
I will reschedule a few things, create a little more "work time" - you know, the time when you get your work done that is not night time, but during the work hours? 
I will eat at least one fruit. And maybe a veggie, too.
I will read a poem and an essay, for joy. I will Facetime with my daughter. I will Zoom detox.

Tomorrow, I'm "out of office" for a few days to see my folks - the amazing humans who know me best of all and love me the deepest. Role model social justice warriors who know the power of slowing down, taking walks, saying "I'm sorry, I can't take that on right now." Teachers who can teach me, their first student, their oldest, who needs a reset.

I can.
I can do better.



Today's slice lightly inspired by this poem/essay by adrienne maree brown, which fell out of my notebook: http://adriennemareebrown.net/2021/10/26/not-busy-focused-not-busy-full/



Comments

  1. I am glad you are reflecting and taking some time for you. Have fun with your folks! And I am running to look up the poem. Sometimes the things that fall out of our notebooks are just what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post a day after you wrote it I so hope your plan for the new day happened and you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of your Slice resonates with me so much. We get all caught up in LIFE!! I love the line "AND: I can do better." I am happy that you found some ways to do better. I believe you will do what you put your mind to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment