Sneaking in another late-night Slice after a day, such a day.

There are still many keys clicking in this house tonight...

I'm building a huge spreadsheet, preparing to send kindergarten educators "swag" before their conference later this month. My eyes are glazing over during cutting & pasting, but I know I must keep alert - one line off and someone will be missing their custom-wrapped Hershey bar and microwave popcorn!

My son should be writing an essay but he's editing videos. I want to find a way to lovingly nudge him toward his work, but if you know 18 year olds, you know lovingly nudging can be received like a hard shove. I may peek in and see if he wants to split this Hershey bar with me, as a midnight treat.

My husband is lovingly nudging ME to bed. He knows everything in this house runs more smoothly when we get sleep. Sleep... even more important than spreadsheets and chocolate. Little does he know I took a Slicing break, racing the clock to post-up and make it to double-digits.

The only smart one is the pup, curled into a tight circle of snoozing next to me. No chocolate, no nudging. No clicking, no Slicing. Just calm breaths in and out... in and out... a gentle reminder that it's time for this day, and this Slice, to end.




Comments

  1. I hope you joined your snoozing pup shortly after crafting your slice. If only it took chocolate to survive all the tasks we desire to accomplish in a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only chocolate WAS enough :) (hmmmm, another Slice idea - what IS my fuel?!) Thanks for reading, Rebecca!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely way to capture a late night slice. I appreciate the way you pull the chocolate throughout, linking the beginning to the end. I also like the idea of "keys clicking in the house," I might want to tug that thread in my own life.
    Happy writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really really good at pulling chocolate in to all sorts of unexpected places - hahahaha! And I have also been swiping words and phrases from our Slice community to build my idea board, too. How lucky are we?!

      Delete
  3. Chocolate is amazing! Your treats are always appreciated by teachers...post it notes and pens too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs are so good at relaxing. I love to listen to my dog breathe when she is totally calm and sleepy. It's so relaxing to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is right, you should be in bed, mine always says the same thing, but when you gotta slice, you gotta slice. I liked your description of the house and especially your pup ' a tight circle of snoozing next to me'. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment