I have missed 7 days of Slicing, but I'm coming back - I can do hard things, and I know consistently writing is something I value, learn from and love - so many good reasons to get back at it.

WHAT have I been doing, if not Slicing?

1. I got my second vaccine. All was easy-breezy the first 18 hours, but day two I was a feverish, achy, sniffling, sore-arm mess. Then, day three: a bounce back. Every sniffle was worth it. Just 10 more days to go, and I will be looking for someone to hug.

2. My team and I curated and wrote content for an early learning website that is going live! Getting this site launched has taught me a ton about web design (how easy it is AND how hard it is). Check it out, especially if you love a PreK or K child: yourcubby.org

3. Yourcubby.org will go live at a conference for Illinois kindergarten teachers that I've been the lead planner on. We opened with a keynote from Kristi Mraz yesterday, and she did not disappoint. Her strong messaging on play, equity and advocacy were amazing (I tweeted quite a bit of it: @lvahey). Working with her over the past 4 months was powerful, as well (another Slice on that learning to come). Today, there were seven concurrent sessions, and I was able to sit in on the session by Alexis Lauricella and Shina Alade, really digging deep into screens, young children and how thoughtful we absolutely must be - kids' brains are counting on us! I especially loved thinking about the difference between interactive (working on a tablet) and receptive (watching a video) content. Both can be effective tools for learning, and we need to consider how we use them. Learn more about this work here: https://teccenter.erikson.edu/

4. I led three of my grad students through several of the activities in Elena Aguilar's book Onward. Unpacking values and resilience together taught me so much about them, and gave ME the chance to revisit my own values. (Yes, a Slice seed here, too.)

5. Finally: I finished a writing fellowship at the OpEd Project, online with about 35 other participants. This time (Friday nights, online, pen-in-hand) taught me so much: about the power of my voice, who is an expert (hint: we are!), the need for stories AND numbers, the invisible "rules" of who gets published. I have much more to share on this experience, too (for sure: more for my Slice idea list).

It's late.

But I'm back! 

And it feels oh-so good to have not given up. 

                        

Kristi teaching us about Stuart Brown's "play personalities" - learn more here: https://caps.umich.edu/article/your-play-personality






Comments

  1. Wow! You have been busy! I'm so impressed by what you've been doing and the energy and passion for it all that shines through. Welcome back! I'm going to share this blog with a preK teaching friend and am looking forward to reading your future slices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing with a friend, and are you in Maine? My daughter is in college there, at Bates - she shared it was 12 degrees the other day - stay warm and know that spring is on its way :)

      Delete
  2. Lisa!! So much goodness here. Welcome back! Glad you’re protected now, can’t wait to learn more about all your cool projects via those links, and appreciate your GD lead - we CAN do hard things. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend - so much work to do, yet my own writing needs to stay at the top of the list... it's up to ME to make that happen (even when I fail).

      Delete
  3. My goodness, you are BUSY! The site looks amazing and I plan to share it with my own graduate students here in NY. It looks like such a comprehensive resources for teachers. And while you might not have been slicing, you were certainly writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie, for sharing the site, and please let them know - their feedback and ideas are welcomed!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I see and understand why you missed days. God bless kindergarten teachers! I look forward to reading more about your ventures, especially about the writing fellowship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to write more - and op/eds are a whole new genre for me!

      Delete
  5. You have been busy! I will go check out your Twitter feed and the new website!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment