First one up

The puppy, Auggie*, is officially the "first one up" in my house these days. He barks once, then twice, to be let out of his crate, and just like when our kids cried, your body somehow hears it. I slide on slippers and shuffle down the stairs before bark #3 and greet him in a quiet voice as I lift the latch. He zooms out the door, racing into that day's weather (this morning, snow!), stopping to pee, and then looping about the yard: sniffing the same dead plants, looking for squirrel and rabbit tracks (our suburban wildlife), and licking water from the spigot. He often settles into his "nest" -- a patch of soft grasses that create a landing pad after his exploring. After 3-4 minutes, he's ready to come in and fall back asleep. Many days, I do the same!

We've pulled back the vines that twisted around from the metal gate that closes off our driveway, so that he has excellent run-around room, but soon, he's going to realize that he could ask for a walk each morning. I don't see many others in a nightgown and slippers walking their dogs, so for now, I'm grateful for our backyard time that begins the day.


Auggie in his nest

* Yes, he is named after the main character in Wonder.
* Shout-out to my husband, who shares this morning duty with me. And if your teenage kids tell you they will get up with the dog, please know they are well-intended, but fibbing. Their first love is sleep, even above the adorable (and needy) puppy.

Comments

  1. You really do hear those barks like you heard your baby. And you really do get up and meet those needs. I love the asterisks in your piece that give context and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie... I still can't belief that my mom-ears are now puppy-ears. Today was a 4:30 wake-up in zero degree weather! But fortunately, right back to bed after that cold cold pee!

      Delete
  2. You've painted a great picture of your puppy, yard and the feelings you experience as you get up to meet his needs! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Celia. We do love him, so while it's a chore, it's done with love (usually!).

      Delete
  3. A dog's life! Those few minutes mean the world to him. I can imagine your morning routine to the T. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vickiela. I tried to capture it, because I know one of these days, I'll forget it. Thank goodness for Slicing to get these memories down :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment