Counting to 10 with JOY

What were the joys of my day?

1. Quickly made my son a yummy egg/cheese/sausage scramble breakfast when we didn't have anything he liked. Got a hug in return!
2. Called a friend to go work-out; she's out of town, but we have a quick phone catch-up. It was good energy for the morning.
3. I got that work-out in -- 10 miles on the bike. Felt accomplished.
4. Scooted to a bookstore to get a birthday gift for a new friend. Found something perfect for her -- alphabet thank you notes. Errand done! (And so tempting to get lured in by books... but I'm on a budget this month!)
5. Really difficult call with a reporter. Treated rudely. Rather than engage, decided to end the call, and I think I did so gracefully, with clarity and directness, which was needed.
6. Excellent responses from two friends who I called after talking with the reporter. They gave me honest feedback and helped me craft a next-steps plan. Texted them both a thank you of gratitude. Feeling buoyed by my colleagues!
7. Terrific call with a favorite client. The work is oh-so hard on this project, but doing it with laughter makes it easier. And she is missioned-aligned, relentless and focused on good. She also shared a genuine complement, about our responsiveness and willingness to take feedback and quickly integrate it into our work for them. That felt good!
8. Headed to an afternoon meeting with our town's mayor. Clarity and directness round two, leading to productive back and forth. Worked on not starting my comments with "I'm sorry to bother you with this..." or "I know you probably have very important things to do...". Agreed to talk again in several weeks -- felt a meaningful commitment to some important work.
9. Great "salad in a bag" dinner (Mediterranean salad from Trader Joe's!) At 5:00 pm. With my husband. (Are we getting old, eating at 5:00 pm, or what?!)
10. Two evening conversations with folks dedicated to our community and helping good things happen in our schools.

Sometimes I can count to 10 with frustration (and I could even choose frustration with some of these events), but I'm striving for more glass-half-full days!

Comments

  1. Wonderful gratitude format. You had ten things on your list - this is a lot for a day. I hope that collecting 10 each day you ended up with 70 joys a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great slice format! YEAH for JOY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment