Being still tonight

Here it is, almost 9:00 pm, and I don't feel like writing tonight.

I'm sad about Dolly Parton dying, and spent an hour watching Steel Magnolias - all the scenes in Truvy's beauty salon, all the wisdom (and nonsense!) that was shared there. Thank you, Dolly, for being a bright steady light in the world. I especially appreciated Kahlil Greene's remembrance: Dolly Parton Was the Ally We Should All Strive to Be

I've got some work to do, but don't feel energized. The radio is off, the windows are open, and I can hear the crickets loud and clear.
Are they inviting me swing into productivity or sit still?
I think... if I listen carefully... it's sit still.

I could maybe sort through some books, or respond to a few texts.
There is laundry to do, and a package that needs me to find the right-sized box and an updated address.
I have a friend to call, a dinner to schedule, the Signal chat to catch-up on.

But the crickets are encouraging me to listen to them and slow down.
So I will drop this Slice here, then shut the laptop and silence the phone.
I will move even closer to that open window.
Take a few deep breaths.
Slow down my internal list-making and find the quiet, find the stillness that is oh-so close.

Beloved Auggie was ready to snuggle longer this morning...
I think we're both ready to hit the hay tonight.

Comments

  1. I was bothered as well. She was truly a god person.. I admired her especially with her reading program. She was selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolly's death saddened me more than I thought it would, having never met her before. But she was such a force for doing what's humanly right, what we all should strive toward. I'm glad you embraced the quiet with the crickets sitting next to the open window and letting the night time sounds drift in and hug you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment