Small Moment - work & coffee with D

Let me Zoom on a small moment from yesterday:

My son was in from LA, and we'd had a rowdy brunch with my parents - well, rowdy as in family story-telling, sharing bites of each other's delicious meals, talking over each other, asking questions, laughter. The very best kind of intergenerational rowdy at 11:00 am. 

After hugs and kisses and promises to share this selfie ^^ (which he obviously did!), my son and I followed through on our plan to find a coffee shop and get a few hours of work done. We'd lugged lap tops, chargers, external drives (him) and professional books (me). We both needed to plug in, so we sat at the counter, where we could peek at the view of Lake Erie a few blocks in front of us.

I ordered this amazing cold brew (with house-made herbal syrup, hint of sea salt, and oat milk + edible flowers sprinkled on top), propped open Appendix A from The Art of Coaching Teams and got to work writing a professional learning session. My son is a videographer and editor and was on deadline for finishing a two-minute Instagram reel for one of his hip LA clients. So for 2 hours we worked. I sipped coffee, put together a great plan for my client, and responded to some emails that needed follow-up.

The best part, though, was glancing over at D during our work session (or "sesh" as my kids call it!) and seeing him in the zone - eyes on the screen, Airpods in, fingers zipping over the keys making magic happen as he matched movements perfectly to music. He is settled into his profession, confident in his project and product, and truly becoming an expert in his field. My kiddo who decide college was no place for him: he wanted to get into the field and do the work, which meant an apartment by himself at 19, in a big city (LA, baby!) where we knew not a soul, but where he was certain he needed to be. And: he was oh-so right.

It is lovely to sit with him in this Cleveland coffee shop during a very rare visit home, 4 years later, but I knew I couldn't get all mushy and ruin the moment with over-commenting my motherly joy. So I tucked it all away, knowing he'd be on a plane today and I could Slice my love onto the page for all of you. 🧡

Comments

  1. Your love and pride definitely shine through in this post. It is wonderful that you and your son had time together as well as getting things done. Arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the term, "intergenerational rowdy"!! And you most definitely were able to "Slice (your) love onto the page for all of (us)." Thank you for this portrait of an amazing young man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the peaceful calm of the two of you working side by side after a rowdy intergenerational brunch. Glad you shared your motherly joy and pride with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comment about motherly joy and how our adult kids don’t see it the same way as we do. I enjoyed reading about your time together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment