Today's post is inspired by the poem In Lieu of Flowers by Shawna Lemay. I came across it when looking for poems about grief and grieving, and it inspired me to think about my in lieu of... suggestions.

====

I do love flowers, especially tulips, so if they're in season, buy a bunch for yourself and place them on your kitchen counter where you'll see them as you empty the dishwasher or pour milk in your coffee, and think of me with kindness. But flowers will eventually fade, so maybe, instead, you'd like to find a picture book that makes you smile or giggle or sigh with the beauty of what a wonderful thing kindness is, empathy is, care is. Ask a bookseller at Loganberry for a recommendation if you're stuck; I know they'd be helpful.

Find a poem by Maggie Smith or Clint Smith or any poet, really, and read it aloud into your Notes, then send it off to someone who needs a poem.

Get some pre-sharpened Ticonderoga pencils, maybe a box of 32 or 2 boxes or 3 boxes, and drop them off for a teacher and tell them "Oh, please, it's the least I can do" when they thank you with tears in their eyes.

Treat yourself to favorite chocolate, and I don't want to be too bossy, but maybe it's Chocolove, and you read the love poem inside the wrapper while you savor each bite.

Get new pillow cases. New PJs, too. And put your phone in the other room tonight. Grab a good book, a magazine. Sleep in.

Listen to an 80s love song on replay, and remember your first love, and dance around the kitchen while you admire the tulips and feel alive.



Comments

  1. I didn't know the poem, so thank you for introducing it to me. It's beautiful....and I think yours is equally beautiful. I love this line: "Treat yourself to favorite chocolate, and I don't want to be too bossy, but maybe it's Chocolove,"--love that aside in the middle. I also love your ending--how you tie it all together withe tulips from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natasha - getting the tone right was tricky, and I really worked hard to close that circle at the end; thank you for noticing it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment