Gratitude List

I was preparing to Slice about being overwhelmed by my To Do list. Or the super-duper irritating thing my husband did today. Or my frustration with a client who is always. changing. the. goal. line. on a project that's losing its joy.

But instead: I am going to breathe peace into these last five waking hours of my day and release the overwhelmed/irritated/frustrated energy I'm carrying. I will make a gratitude list.

I am grateful for lists. When you have a perfect pen and a crisp sheet of paper and can move things off of random post-its and into columns. Positioning a box to the left of each item, ready for your checkmark that when added, will be certain sign that you are efficient, organized and getting things done, oh yes, you ARE!

I am grateful for my husband. How does this patient human live with someone who has so many post-its around her (if only she'd make a list!), someone who orders so many books, makes so many stacks, who often puts the needs of frustrating clients ahead of making dinner or cleaning up said stacks? I am an irritating wife, it is certain, so thank goodness for my husband's patience.

I am grateful for clients. How lucky am I to do work that I love, supporting educators, coaching principals and leaders, designing professional learning, mastering Zoom? I get to use post-it notes and read picture books every single day. When my work is hard, I can stop. Breathe. And make a list to get myself back on track. It is good work. 

There we go.

I am grateful, so very grateful. And now: let's go make a list!


Post-its that hope to one day become a list item:


 

Comments

  1. I really appreciate the reframing from frustrations to gratitude. I share your love of to do lists, especially checking or crossing them off. Thanks for the reminder to focus on what is good in our lives, as there is so much to draw from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed this reminder for myself, so Slicing was a great way to literally turn around my thinking. So much good in our lives - you are right!

      Delete
  2. I love how you turned this around. Think in positive ways! Oh the post it notes. I am retired and still have post it note with ideas to do. I love when I can throw one away. Thanks for writing. What picture book did you read today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post it notes are tiny squares of joy! Today I re-read The Butterfly by Patricia Polacco, for a middle school teacher I'm coaching, who is studying the Holocaust and realizes the power of picture books. Wow. What a story.

      Delete
  3. Wow that list was really helpful ... especially the husband list. Two broken arms ... he is trying, but wow - it is clear how much I typically do! I agree taking the time to break the negative feelings is worth it - I don't typically make lists, I tend to laugh at what is going on around me and put it in perspective. I think that is just another way of noticing all that I love and am grateful for in my life. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was *absolutely* helping me out, but I was just not having it unless it was exactly my way. Poor guy! Sending you & your husband positive energy in your crazy healing days. So grateful you're Slicing and commenting, Clare - what a gift :)

      Delete
  4. What a great way to turn around your mood! I love the enthusiasm for picture books and post-its!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picture books + post-its are my fuel & tools, along with chocolate & Flair pens :)

      Delete
  5. Lisa! I love how you reimagined annoyance and frustration as gratitude with positivity. Such great reminders here. And I love to think about stacks of books and post its. Xx Nawal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every surface covered in stack around here these days. My poor husband - my happiness is his burden :)

      Delete

Post a Comment