A year ago, I was still flying

Hopping on planes to spend 24 hours in Chicago.
Teaching a class in a windowless classroom.
Sharing pens, washi tape and markers as we decorated our journals.
Bumping in to each other as we did a 4 Corners activity.
Moving seats two or three times, to make sure we had different partners, building community.
Intimately leaning over a book to share our thinking about power quotes from Cornelius Minor's We Got This.
Scooping our chips into salsa together, excited for our snack break.
Lingering in the narrow hallway after class to connect and laugh and make plans.
After class, I got drive through chai tea, my hand touching the server's hand as she passed me my hot cup.
I stayed in a Hampton Inn, riding the elevator with 5 other passengers to the top floor.
I woke up early and got back on a plane.
A year ago, I was still flying.










Comments

  1. Don't we all miss those days! The big question, when will life return to that? I'm hoping sooner but probably wiser to think it will be a little bit later. I guess if there's one lesson we're all learning, it's patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the nostalgia and the hindsight. But I can attest: you’re still flying- just in different ways ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your structure to this poem of starting with an -ing word fills it with action and highlights all that we haven't been doing for a year. As I read your lovely poem, my mind wandered to the favorite Friday game my homeroom liked to play last year = Musical Chairs...wonder if such a game can happen any time soon?! Thanks for sharing a memory from a year ago, such a different time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a lifetime ago, but of course it wasn't, nicely done, I especcially like 'touching the server's hand', will we ever do that again?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment