Celebration of a doctor's appointment

I went to the doctor today, for the first time in a looooonnnnnnnggggggg time. I don't want to step on the scale. I don't want to know my blood pressure. I don't want to hear about that strange mole on my back. However, out walking with a friend last fall, she said she loved her doctor... and she really took me to task about my avoidance (as only true friends can do). So I called... in NOVEMBER... and the appointment was today.

Three celebrations:
  • This doctor is amazing. Eye contact. Present. Offering choices. Calm. A bit directive, but just enough. Encouraging. Her warmth made it comfortable to admit the truth about what I haven't been doing, and those truths mean I'll have better care.
  • The strange mole(s) (yes, there are two, actually) -- it's nothing. DEEP SIGH of relief.
  • AND I have a follow-up appointment. I was comfortable enough to say "You're right. I need to work on my weight, get a colonoscopy and ask my parents for my grandparents' health history." (How do I not know these things?) So I'm on an upward trajectory, taking care of me.
And a note: it's uncomfortable to do things you don't like. You drag your feet. You bring a little attitude, maybe even some fibbing. You grouse when reminded. But if the thing you don't like is important (like learning to write a literary essay, let's say or going to the doctor), how do we help others get important things done? As an instructional coach, can I be more like my walking friend, willing to say "Hey, c'mon, this is important -- you can do this!"? Or like the doctor, who made it safe to be uncomfortable (and with my heart calmer, we got much more done, because I could be honest)? My avoidance -- and overcoming it -- is a good thing to reflect on, and learn from.

Comments

  1. I love that instructional coaches can turn every life lesson into a metaphor with which to teach their students! This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promised my doctor I would schedule an appointment and still haven't. Maybe this is the hint I am supposed to call. I actually thought about this idea when I was getting ready this morning! If the doctor is brought up again today I know it is truly a sign! The power of 3! I am glad it went well for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful interaction! I too, have a really wonderful doctor, which makes going a whole lot easier!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment