Travel notes


A travel day, filled with observations:
·      The harried woman returning her car at the same time we were, snapping at the service workers, her oversized, heavy bag blocking us all, being just rude enough to the van driver to prompt me to compensate with extra kindness. She’s stressing as if her flight is in 30 minutes, but when the van pulls out and gets on the road to take us to our respective gates, she’s on the same flight we are (in 75 minutes – what I consider “early” in my own travel timelines). I stop myself from rolling my eyes and wish her travel graces. But then, I avoid her in the waiting area, afraid her negative karma (or propensity for worrying?) will rub off on me.
·      The tech guys at my charging station, in hoodies and beanies sharing tech gossip and acronym soup, but clearly so very passionate about their content and knowledge. They ask each other questions and when an answer isn’t known, several take a guess, and they all weigh-in. I wonder if anyone hears teachers on their way to a professional conference bantering this way. I feel a pang of jealousy for folks who attended the #TCRWP reunion. YES, teachers do talk about our work in this way!
·      Slow walkers: look at their phones; wear several layers, and carry several more. Definitely have more than two bags with them. Chat with friends, if they are traveling in pairs. Have those neck supporters.
Fast walkers: look at their phones, too. Always have wheelie bags. Seem to be efficiently packed with only two bags.  No neck supporters. At least one ear bud or other listening device in their ear.

As a rule, I’m a grumpy traveler, but thanks to Slice, am eavesdropping and observing more. Today, I’m wondering:
·      Can I be kinder when I’m late or stressed?
·      What do people hear when I talk teaching or coaching shop?
·      Am I a fast walker or slow walker?


Comments

  1. The airport is always a great place for people watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to people watch and wonder what is happening to make them the way they are. Great observations and safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the observations, and the connections to your own actions. I'm so glad that you had time to reflect on the world around you. I need more moments like this to really reflect rather than rushing around like a crazy person!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment