Today, I'm not going to cry about my lost files... instead...

Instead...

I met with my group of 4th graders who are designing their culminating project (called an Exhibition) for the Primary Years Programme as part of our district's International Baccalaureate commitments. I'm their mentor. We made an idea web, found two helpful articles, shared ideas about our essential question, created 3 commitments to help us work well together, promised to ask our families questions over break to learn their opinions about healthcare access (yes, that is our topic!) and laughed a bit, too. I can't believe how lucky I am to get to work with them; it was the perfect antidote to my frustrated, angry night last night.*

I registered high schoolers to vote. Do you know that if you are 18 by November 7, 2018, you can register to vote NOW, and then vote in the primary elections in Ohio? (You can't vote on issues, but you can vote, for instance, in the gubernatorial primaries.) So I walked around the senior lounge at our high school, armed with paperwork, blue pens, and plenty of candy & cheerfulness, cajoling kids to take off their ear buds, put down their phones and talk with me about voting. I even used my charm to get a few reluctant kids to smile and make eye contact with me. And... I'm sneaking away from a meeting to get another 30 minutes in tomorrow. More medicine for my soul.**

I attended a vibrant, powerful talk by my incredible mentor, Mark Joseph. He engaged us in thinking about "The Everyday Vigilance Required to Make Real Progress Toward Racial Equity & Inclusion". Although I've heard this talk before, each time, my heart and head open up a bit more to the need to be persistent in my equity work. This journey starts with yourself, takes daily commitment, and a requires us to build anti-racist muscle. Being with Mark and others today was definitely a boost to my personal work.***

And a special note: I was supposed to be on a work trip today, but we're heading to the funeral of one of my husband's relatives. So this bonus day of volunteering & attending lectures was a gift. A gift in so many ways. So I'm definitely not going to cry anymore about those files, but cherish the incredible opportunities that filled my day.

Goodbye files. Hello today and my real life.


NOTES:

*The PYP Exhibition: The Exhibition is an important part of the PYP for all students. In the final year of the programme, students undertake a collaborative, transdisciplinary inquiry process that involves them in identifying, investigating and offering solutions to real-life issues or problems. As the culminating experience of the PYP, the Exhibition offers students an exciting opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning.
More HERE.

**Learn more about registering teens to vote from the League of Women Voters.

***Interested in Mark's work? You can watch his keynote from The Neighborhood Progress Institute at this link.

Comments

  1. Wow! You are a busy girl. I can tell you feel proud and energized doing this work. What better way to take your mind off whatever it was that you aren't crying about anymore...(I don't want to bring it up.) Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. I am looking forward to rescheduling and seeing you hopefully next month! Appreciating the wonderful things around us is sometimes so hard in the face of sadness. I am glad you are looking for the sun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment