Today, I was in a room with about 100 teachers, learning how to Fall in Love with Close Reading.

My eyes were either glued on Kate or Chris, or on a text, or facing my turn & talk partner or scanning my computer screen as I took notes.
My hands were busy writing or typing (and more than once, ordering from Amazon, because we all need good books!).
My ears were wide open -- we listened to music and read the lyrics closely; we entered the morning and started our lunch with Motown & Beyonce; I listened to our presenters, to my partner, and even did a little eavesdropping, too. And at lunch, I gathered with a few other coaches to laugh and commiserate as I listened to their stories.

BONUS: My body did several yoga poses at lunch, thanks to fellow Slicer Tammy, who traveled from Indiana to join us in CLE for a day of learning -- thank you for calming us and coaching us through mountain and warrior poses. You made us stronger with your patient teaching.

BUT MOST OF ALL: My heart. My heart was full of learning, of book titles, of ideas. I couldn't write fast enough and couldn't wait to talk with a friend to process and sift through my learning. I will teach differently tomorrow. And this quote:



If you're interested: my notes from today are HERE and I tweeted quite a bit (@lvahey + #FILWCloseReading)

THANK YOU, Chris Lehman and Kate Roberts, for a joyful day of reading, thinking, writing, talking, LEARNING!

Comments

  1. Love the way you structured this by talking about your eyes, hands, ears, body, but most of all your heart. It's clear this was a day of learning that made a difference for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an amazing conference - one of the best I have been to in a long time! I gleaned so much and cannot wait to share what I learned with my staff. You made it that much better an experience too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment