The comfort of friends when work is hard

On this sunny Saturday afternoon, I hung out with eight other women, brainstorming ways to improve our community with a lens on racial equity. It's hard work, for sure, and deserves a longer post one of these Slices.

But after three hours of work time and quick kitchen clean-up (because whenever we convene, there is always good food!), one of women and I went for a walk. The sun was melting the slushy snow that's clogged the sidewalks, and after a mile, I shed my jacket, and also, started to shed some of my burdens as we walked and talked: it's hard to focus on social justice and our jobs & families. It's hard to be disappointed by others (especially by the moms in our school) who we thought cared about equity and the success of all kids in our school, and along this journey, find out that they don't want to have hard conversations. I carry so much anger, and I'm not always good about channeling it toward productive outrage. And as the sun warmed us up, it was good to talk with someone about the work and the emotions that charge through me -- what's hard about it, and what keeps us going.

I don't know this woman well, but when we landed back in her kitchen, I realized how comfortable I was. I process so much from talking, and talking and walking is especially productive for me. My very first slice was about bursting into tears as I search for my "just right" space in this work, and today, I'm grateful for the comfort of a new friend who gifted me with light and love in our swift steps and constant conversation on a bright, almost-spring Saturday walk.



*Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Comments

  1. People get uncomfortable when it comes to talk about equity and social justice. And they SHOULD be uncomfortable. Our nation has gone too long being inequitable to many of our citizens. Keep doing what's right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had some similar conversations with friends lately - how can we improve the world with multiple lenses... how can we check our privilege and do good? It's so powerful that you were able to walk and talk with this new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you got some clarity and peace!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment