60 minutes of PD x 4 = tiring day -- what did I learn?


Every day is an opportunity to share a message that I deeply believe in – that teachers can re-think and re-organize our classrooms to build a community of readers and writers where every child feels like “I belong to the world of reading and writing.” Yesterday, I led professional development for kindergarten teachers; not my favorite format – I saw groups of 20-30 in one hour cycles, making it hard to “go deep” and requiring me to keep my energy high all day.

(My post on Wednesday was about a full-day, working with the same teachers; as a consultant, I need to be able to advocate for high quality, full-day, practice-based learning, but sometimes, I have to do these one hour conference-like days.)

I tried a few things to make yesterday more engaging. Here’s the list and some reflections, too.

  • I did incorporate a smidge of read aloud into each session, and I love when I can lure teachers into a great book that no one knows, getting them excited about the power of read aloud. I used One Word from Sophia; the language is so rich and the design of the book reinforces the emotion of the story. It was a great choice AND
  • I did give-aways. Copies of the book, and a 30 pack of pre-sharpened Ticonderoga pencils (I mean, it's writing workshop, and you need to write, right?!). This decision was a win!

  • I incorporated in short professional reading. This effort was a mixed bag; how to control for folks finishing at different times; table discussions were sometimes flat; and I should have used a more direct, open-ended prompt: "Talk about your thinking. What does this reading make you think about?" Mixed bag, but my fault. I can make this better.
  • We watched a video of a minilesson. My minilesson. By the fourth time, I was bored of hearing myself talk to kinders about How To books, but I think seeing teaching in action, with kids, is powerful stuff. The responses showed that folks did a lot of noticing, and several folks mentioned how helpful it was. However, I wish I'd set more of a purpose... I'm deciding between "Watch what I tell you to watch for, here's a template to fill-in" versus "Watch with an open heart and see what jumps out at you." I'm looking forward to reading evaluations so I can get a better sense of the feedback from teachers.
Professional learning shouldn't be "hit or miss" and as I head into the rest of the month (with lots of day-long professional learning dates on my calendar!), I'm going to tighten up just a bit in some places, and loosen up in a few others. Just like the classroom, there is art & science in my work, and just like a teacher, the weekends are for planning better lessons!

Comments

  1. It sounds like you accomplished a lot in an hour. I love that you included pre-sharpened pencils as a give-away. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you shared your honest reflection. As teachers, I believe we learn from each other AND experienced consultants. Interactive PD is productive, as is sharing our strengths and "hit or misses" with others. Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you’ll feel better about your presentation if you vary the content while keeping the focus the same for each presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it was the fourth time watching for you it was the first time for each group. Sounds like you did manage to get each group thinking while sneaking in the power of read aloud, something I personally think needs to happen more in all classrooms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment