Joining the party -- 4 favorites and a surprise

On SOL#18, Leigh Anne Eck invited people to join her virtual party, and all you needed to do was RSVP and share 4 favorite things plus a surprise. So I'm knocking on the door and bringing:

A favorite book: Well, I wanted to bring an entire LL Bean bag full of favorites, but right now, I'm buying All American Boys for everyone I know, because Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely are coming to my town in October AND it's almost April: I'm hoping Jason will post a poem every day. Reading is thinking, and when I read books that make me think, my head and heart can be changed. This book helped me think deeply, and I'm excited to read, think and talk about it with others. 

A favorite person: My amazing husband? My rockin' incredible kids? Michelle Obama? RBG? My own incredible mom? I think, at this moment in time, I'll bring Emma González. I want her to feel the love of educators, to have the chance to get filled up with good food & energy, and I want to listen to her, learn from her. The warrior work she is doing will change our world.


Favorite food: I love to cook, I truly do. But instead of cooking, I'm going to go to On the Rise and Luna Bakery. I'll pick up warm bread, and chocolate sea salt c
ookies, macaroons and cupcakes. You're right, they aren't homemade by me, but I bring them with love and you will thank me later!

Favorite song: Do you want to dance? I do! I'm going to bring my tape (I hope you have a jam box!) of the Cure's Just Like Heaven. This is a lusciously romantic song, hidden in an upbeat tempo that always got us on the dance floor in college. Don't worry -- if you aren't into it, it's only 3 minutes long, and I'm OK dancing alone :-)

A surprise: Should I grab that LL Bean bag of books? Sneak my husband in? Bring along my Prince or Bruce Springsteen tapes? I think I'll have lush, beautiful flowers delivered. Enough that we can all take a vase of them home... full cottage roses and bursting hydrangeas and leggy lysanthium. They'll fill the room with their color but not overpower us with too sweet smells. We'll all feel spoiled when we put it on our kitchen tables at home after the party, a little memory of our evening together.


The link to try this, and the invite:


Comments

  1. Yay! I am so glad your are joining us! How exciting that Jason Reynolds is coming to your town! I loved Long Way Down, and so did my students! All of his books are books to talk about, so this is perfect! The flowers would add the perfect touch! Adding you to the guest list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment