Fearing life beyond readers



I'm working to embrace being on the other side of 50, and wearing readers "every once in a while" has now become "having readers in every bag". Above is my collection from the past few weeks; because I've been traveling a lot, readers inadvertently slip into a suitcase side pocket instead of my backpack's front pocket. So to the drugstore I trek, worried that I'm down a pair, and here I am, now with four pairs!

The strange truth is that though I love my readers (and oh, how I appreciate them when I'm up early on the computer or up late reading), I'm putting off getting to the eye doctor and getting "real glasses". I think I'm worried that the first appointment might lead to more questions:

Am I sometimes misplacing my glasses?
Do I sometimes forget the odd word here and there?

Eating enough fish? Skipping the caffeine? Monitoring my cholesterol?
Exercising regularly? Sleeping enough? 
HELP!!!

I know an ophthalmologist isn't likely to interrogate me in this way, but maybe I should be asking myself these questions. Because after all, I am 52. I've earned the right to real glasses and maybe, the right to embrace getting older, too. Real glasses. Healthier eating. More walks. Less caffeine to boost me and more sleep to fill me with the right kind of energy.

So I'll put "eye doctor" on my "To do" list, and you can all check back with me next year to see if I've moved forward. And to face my fears, let me put on my jacket, go for a walk and get in those steps. After all, it's a bright, crisp Sunday... I don't need readers to read the beauty of this day.

Comments

  1. You may be surprised and not need "real" glasses. I am 59 and have been wearing glasses since I was five. I would love to be able to have a collection of "readers" that I could coordinate them with different outfits. Our 50s are definitely not for the faint of heart, but they are fun I am a little nervous about hitting the big 6-0 in October. Hope you enjoyed your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as one who was so excited to get my glasses in sixth grade so that I could read the chalk board, I saw embrace those glasses and thank God they are an option! Also, spend the extra $$ for the progressive lenses that have no line--wonderful for computer work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote because I too have a ridiculous number of readers around. A pair in my bag at all times. A spare at school in case I forget the ones in my bag. Two to three on the night table. One in the bathroom. One in the kitchen. I've got four years on you, and it's okay up here in the late 50s, so don't worry! Enjoy the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. I'm also over 50 and, I swear, on my 50th birthday my vision knew it. It was downhill from there. Good thing there are some really cute readers out there. They fool me into thinking that I'm still stylish. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had LASIK a few years ago, but my vision was bad enough that at 44, I still had to get readers for most things.

    I ended up with prescription ones because I needed such a low prescription that they were hard to find!

    That said, the prescription ones are much, much nicer. They capture light better and don’t get nearly as smudgy! If you order online, they can also cost about the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment