Dyamonde Daniel and creating readers: thank you, Nikki Grimes

Nikki Grimes,

Thank you for creating Dyamonde Daniels. Today, I got to read with a small group of "struggling fourth graders" and we read an excerpt from Make Way for Dyamonde Daniels, who you describe in the opening lines as "a gem waiting to be discovered." Well, I feel like these kiddos were "readers waiting to be discovered."  When they slouched over to the table, it was clear they had no routines for small group and weren't ready to be engaged. They may as well have said "Reading is not for me, no thanks." Right away, I asked them to choose a Sharpie and write their names on both sides of an index card. I had sharpened pencils with firm erasers ready to go, too. But most of all, we had Dyamonde there...

"Nikki Grimes wants us to learn about Dyamonde; our job is to figure her out. How would you describe her?"



"Her hair." says a student.
"Say more," I push a bit.
"She... she's got black puffs." 
"She does!" I follow-up. "Those curls are just tumbling and look terrific. What else do you notice?"
"She's got a book," replies another student.

"I see it." I try to say it with encouragement in my voice (thinking "Say more, say more!").
Quiet for three, for five, for ten seconds.
"It's a math book" notices someone else.
"Hmmmm...." I add, because I'm trying so hard to let them talk, to let them know this is THEIR space, where they belong.
"She prob'ly likes math."
"Wow -- we haven't read one word, yet you're using so many clues to figure this girl out already. You are ready to rock and roll. Follow along as I read just a few sentences to see what else Nikki Grimes wants us to know about this girl. We're already interested in her."

I read the first six sentences, where Nikki tells us about her "wild-crazy hair" and that "on the inside, she was extraordinary." Dacorey, Jaelynn, Javier, Jayden and Myanna lean in a bit. Not quite following, but not fighting the listening. Not quite rapt, but not pushing back, either.

When we debrief, teachers notice "You used the author's name a lot." Another teacher adds "You let them do the talking." We talk about that long wait time, and how important it is, and I think aloud a bit about why I decided not to correct the little distractions I saw, but kept working to draw kids in and keep them there with me. At the reading table, where they belong.

Nikki Grimes has created a character kids can see and relate to. A girl with wild-crazy hair who thinks her own thoughts, and who really wants a friend. The moment the debrief ends, I hop online and send the four Dyamonde series books to the principal (who is a former literacy coach -- the best kind of leader). We talk deeply and intensely: these readers need to see themselves in books - kids of color who are figuring out life, who are interesting and who want to belong to the world of books and the world of school.

Nikki Grimes and Dyamonde made my work easier today.
Tomorrow, we'll get more books into their hands and keep creating readers.


Comments

  1. This book has soared to the top of my TBR list. What an positive experience for your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you find the perfect book that connects to your student population. The one my students connect with is Fish In a Tree, about a girl who learns a bit differently. It just connects with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good book solves many problems...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment