Closing Tabs

Today, I closed about 50 open tabs on my computer (I'm presenting tomorrow, and I know I'll have to restart my computer to connect to tech). The feeling of relief that comes from having only 2 tabs open as I write is so calming. I am glowing with pride at my completed task. So how do I end up with 50 (okay, let's be real -- 70) open tabs?

Recipes I want to cook.
Blogs I want to follow.
Articles I want to read.
Books I want to buy.
Links I clicked on as I was reading blogs, articles, book reviews.
My email opened at least 3 times, because I keep "losing" the Gmail tab.

My open tabs are my aspirational life. The Lisa that cooks with kale and quinoa, reads long-form articles at the breakfast table instead of crazily packing kale-less and quinoa-free leftovers into tupperware for everyone's lunch. The non-impulsive Lisa who doesn't click on every hotlink, but instead, takes time to consider, and then selectively decides on single next step. (Likely, this same Lisa wears unstained, ironed clothing and has a car with a lemon verbena air freshener, as well.)

Tonight, I head to bed with just my presentation for tomorrow open. I have silenced Excel, Word, Powerpoint and iTunes. I am not sneaking by having Chrome and Safari open, toggling between both browsers, as if to trick my MacBook (a-ha, I am sharing my darkest secrets now!). Even my calendar is closed.

I am zen.
I am a single tab.
Breathing in.
And out.

Pass the kale.




Comments

  1. Yes, long lost tab sisters! This is amazing and makes me feel slightly better...I happen to only have 19 tabs open at the moment, plus about 20+ documents open to finish random writing projects/evaluations. Ah to achieve the single tab zen. Good luck presenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "kale" teaser brought me to your post...your 70 open tabs kept me here. I am so the same way. Our IT guy is disgusted every time he comes to help me. Now when he comes I close everything quickly and open just what I need help with...but that doesn't break my habit of keeping everything open that I "MIGHT" need later. I agree--it feels amazing to have only one tab/window/search engine/browser open. It feels so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the humor in this! Your parenthetical asides worked very well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment