Admission

Tonight's Slice is an admission that I am still struggling with living in the quiet of my own thoughts and ideas. I had the chance to drive home from a meeting in silence, just me and the heavy snow falling, making for a slow commute from an evening meeting. I tried for a moment, but turned the radio on, and then called a friend, then called another friend, filling each minute with chatter but not with my own thoughts, not with my reflections.

As I wrap-up this Slice, I've already put my phone away, already taken a few deep breaths in preparation for a calm rest-taking. Tomorrow is another chance to look for the quiet and welcome the thoughts. Yesterday, I ended our professional learning by acknowledging our "hopes and dreams" for our writers, and that phrase, "hopes and dreams," is a comforting stem for my thinking. What are my hopes? What are my dreams?

Tomorrow, I'll invite them to sneak into the quiet and give them space to grow. Tomorrow, I'll do better at embracing the work of thinking.

Comments