5 minutes of writing

I'm writing about my teaching day in 5 minutes. Annnnnnd GO:

I read aloud "Love That Boy" and "Gate A4" to 6th graders today. I walked around the room as I read,  sometimes touching a shoulder, twice leaning down gently to tap the text when a student wasn't following, and using my voice as a tool of engagement -- volume, pacing, tone.

After the shared reading, I did a writing mini-lesson, and I felt myself get in the zone that sometimes happens when writers are excited and you're in synch with your students -- eyes zoom into your anchor chart, pencils jiggle a bit as they follow your ideas, heads nod, and just a bit of leaning in. The work felt really relevant ("the work we're doing today is making our thinking visible, because your thinking really matters to me"). My pacing was "on" (OK, mostly because I used a timer), and when writing time began, kids were excited to find their own "big ideas" in our poems or in their own favorite books.

As a guest teacher/guest coach today, I'm especially grateful to my host teacher, who so clearly has created a community of writers. A few pics:


Thinking deeply and WRITING deeply.


My model writing


Back in our adult workshop



"This makes me open my eyes to the world around us and realize we have come far but not that far from back then." (the last line -- underlined, because it's the line this writer shared with her partner)



Comments

  1. love that you were in the zone
    kids can really feel your excitement
    and they just build on it
    way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the sense of urgency that comes with "timing" and "pacing" of the mini-lesson. Keep it brief yet effective... Thank you for sharing photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you 5 minute writing sprint format!
    I always enjoy seeing the anchor charts as well!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment